Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Coffee or Tea stained Tutorial

Hello everyone, I thought I would post a tutorial on how to get that aged look on a new quilt, item, or piece of fabric. 

Items in need:

Large bowl
Boiling water
Instant Coffee
OR
10 Tea bags
Item to be dyed.





Okay so first you take your big bowl and put it in the sink.....I like to do my dying there because if water splashes out I am not ruining anything.  Add One saucepan of boiling water (about 8-12 cups water) then drop either tea bags OR your 2 cup instant coffee ( I used this Kava I have had in the pantry for about 6 years.  We didn't like it but didn't want to throw it out for just this occasion!).

Stir well to get a rich dark color such as this:



Next take your item, I am using a small quilt I picked up second hand that was too white, and dunk it in.....USE A WOODEN SPOON AS TO NOT BURN YOUR HANDS color you would like. 

When you have reached your color, which sometimes you can leave overnite if you like,  dump out the dye bath, hold your item in the bowl then fill it up with cold water and about 1/2 cup white vinegar....this sets the color.




 Let it sit for about 30 minutes.

  Dump out the water wring out the excess and then dry it....You can iron it if you need to but you can also leave it crinkly....your preference at this point and enjoy!!!!!






1 comment:

  1. I just love tutorials. This is a different recipe for dying the fabric than what I have used in the past. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello!!!!!

Oh my goodness its been OVER a year!!  WHAT???? What happened?  Hmmmmm Facebook, Instagram and just plain life. I guess you can say I took...